URGENT CALL FOR CANVASSERS!
Mikie needs your support canvassing,
especially this Sunday!
Register here: https://www.mobilize.us/sherrillforcongress/event/480874/
There's another canvass starting there at 3pm!
That’s ONE HUNDRED days of being hyperfocused, super-strategic, and gettin’ stuff done!
But how about a little motivation, first? How about ONE HUNDRED important accomplishments that wouldn’t have happened without the hard work we all did to get the Biden/Harris ticket elected and to secure at least a nominal majority in Congress? Of course there's still work to be done — and NJ 11th for Change is doing all we can to make sure we get the chance to DO IT! But let's take a moment to celebrate our victories.
CLICK HERE for a satisfying little list of one hundred wins — just a random sampling from among many other accomplishments over the last eighteen months. All of this is a big deal, given that President Biden inherited a fractured country, infected with COVID and laden with $8 trillion more in debt than when his predecessor started. And while we haven't solved every problem yet, and many of these solutions are still imperfect, they represent real progress, and they help real people!
Some highlights from the full list include:
- Signed the first major piece of Gun Safety Legislation in 30 years
- Rescinded the global gag rule
- Cut the federal deficit by $320 billion (2021)
- Reduced unemployment to 3.9% (from Trump’s 6.3%),
- Created 8.7 million jobs, with jobless claims at their lowest since 1969
- Developed an $1.2T infrastructure law and the $1.9T American Rescue Plan
- Implemented a two-year ACA tax credit expansion
- Expanded coverage to millions and cut costs for millions more
- Confirmed the first Black woman Supreme Court Justice
- Rejoined the Paris Climate Accords
- Revoked the Keystone XL permit
- Restored protections to Bears Ears, Grand Staircase-Escalante, and Northeast Canyons and Seamounts Marine National Monuments
- Rejoined the WHO
- Distributed 500 million vaccine doses at over 90,000 vaccination sites
CHILDREN / FAMILIES / EDUCATION:
- Extended SNAP benefit increase and made 12 million beneficiaries eligible
- Made school lunches free through for all through the 2021-2022 school year
- Forgave $11.5B in student loans for disabled students, students who were defrauded, and PSLF
MILITARY / INTERNATIONAL POLICY:
- Provided Ukraine with $5.6B in U.S. aid with an additional approved $40B
- Banned imports of Russian oil and other energy products in support of Ukraine
- Ended the war in Afghanistan
- Ended Border Wall emergency and canceled all new border wall construction and contracts
- Repealed Trump’s Muslim Ban
- Prohibited ICE from conducting workplace raids
AND JUST YESTERDAY, this came in as #100:
- Sweet-talked (or strong-armed) Joe Manchin into agreeing to pass SOMETHING, perhaps just by giving him naming rights! Take a look HERE to see what is in the newly-redubbed Inflation Reduction Act of 2022.
And all that in just 18 months.
As we approach the 2022 congressional elections, it’s up to us — you, me, all of us! — to make sure that we deliver a stronger, more cooperative House and Senate. That will allow the Biden administration to continue their good work, helping more Americans, with less need to compromise our values.
If we want to keep the White House in 2024, we’ve got to do the work NOW, in 2022.
To that end, check THIS OUT — and then bookmark it: NJ 11th for Change’s new “volunteer opportunities” webpage! We will update this page each week, so you can visit it anytime you find yourself with a few free hours and are looking for a way to help out.
Meanwhile, we’ve got a lot of great projects in the works:
- Our Campaign Kick-Off party in mid-August, once Mikie Sherrill is back in New Jersey and available to join us as a special guest. We’ll share the exact time and place as soon as her team confirms the date. Get ready for your close-up — it’s photo-op time!
In-depth training parties for canvassers. An NJ 11th for Change training party is a great refresher for experienced canvassers, and a perfect introduction for rookies. Learn the basics, get set up with the MiniVAN app, and practice your new skills in break-out role-play sessions. You’ll learn from some serious masters of the art! PRO TIP for folks who have canvassed before: Invite a friend who has never tried it! They can learn what gratifying and effective work it is … and you'll have a buddy to bring along next time you pound the pavement! (Psst! We're offering prizes for people who bring new volunteers!!)
Canvass launch parties connecting our members to Sherrill-campaign canvasses where you can be the most effective. All you hard workers deserve a treat before or after canvassing. Keep an eye out for launch party announcements!
- Vote-chasing gatherings. Mail-in ballots go out to voters 45 days before Election Day; that means September! Once voters start receiving their VBMs, we’ll be swinging into action, calling and texting Mikie-voters who haven’t returned their mail-in ballots yet. NO BALLOTS LEFT BEHIND!
This newsletter will also be sharing “TEAM MIKIE” calls-to-action from Rep. Sherrill’s campaign. You’ll find a full roster of events to sign up for each week in the newsletter’s Events & Volunteer Opportunities section. So keep on scrollin' ....
First and foremost — THIS SUNDAY!
URGENT CALL FOR CANVASSERS!
- THIS SUNDAY, July 31 at 11:00 am (with Mikie) and at 3:00 pm — Launch gathering and canvassing, to celebrate the 100-DAYS COUNTDOWN TO ELECTION DAY! Register here. Can't make it to the 11am launch (when Mikie will be there)? There's another canvass starting there at 3pm!
Complete Week of “Team Mikie” Opportunities:
(click the links for details, and to register)
- TODAY Thursday, July 28 at 3:00 pm — Morris County Canvass Launch with 25/11.
- Saturday, July 30 at 10:00 am — Parsippany Canvass Launch
- Sunday, July 31 at 11:00 am and 3:00 pm — 100 Days Weekend of Action Canvass! — launching from Mikie’s campaign headquarters!
- Saturday, August 6 at 10:00 am — Livingston Canvass Launch
- Sunday, August 7 at 11:00 am — Montclair Canvass Launch
- Sunday, August 7 at 11:00 am — Lincoln Park Canvass Launch
- EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. — Virtual phonebanks to prepare voters for the midterms!
- EVERY Monday at 3:00-5:00 pm — Women for Mikie Virtual Phonebank. Lend a hand from wherever you are!
- EVERY Tuesday at 5:00 pm — In Person Auto Dialer Phonebank.
- NJ 11th for Change Vote-By-Mail Letter Campaign: Not all NJ voters know they have to actively request a mail-in ballot this year. That’s where YOU can help! We’ll provide the official VBM request forms and a list of names and addresses; you provide postage, post-its, and envelopes. Write a quick personal note on the post-it encouraging the recipient to vote by mail, stick it to the request form, stuff it in the envelope, and send it off! We have a tight list of in-district voters who need this little push to significantly increase their turnout rates. Let’s make it easy for them to do the right thing!
Interested in helping? Join the team by emailing NJ 11 Field Director Stacey Abenstein and putting “VBM CAMPAIGN” in the subject line. (Can't write but want to donate stamps or stamp-money? Email Stacey!)
NJ 11th for Change / Working America Letter-Writing Campaign: You know that NJ 11th for Change usually focuses close to home — no national campaigns that make us roam far afield. HOWEVER! We do make one exception! Our volunteers have been participating in Working America's national letter campaign for several years, with terrific success! Working America (the activism branch of AFL-CIO) is a data-driven organization with its finger on the pulse of their electorate, and they have a meticulously field-tested, proven strategy for swinging votes in tight races. They know exactly which voters to touch, and exactly what issues and messages will do the job.
How does it work? You will be sent a document with the text of a carefully crafted letter, focused on one of three core issues that (research shows!) turns red voters blue. You'll also get a list of addresses. Type a few additional personal sentences into the document, print it out, sign it by hand, stuff it in an envelope and mail it off with a handwritten address. Print, sign, and stuff till you’ve completed your list! (You’ll need to provide stationery and stamps.) Our experienced volunteers say that it’s quicker and easier than writing postcards … and the vote-swing rate is the envy of grassroots groups from coast to coast!
Interested in helping? Get on the list by emailing NJ 11’s Working America expert, Jim Price, and putting “WORKING AMERICA” in the subject line. (Can't write but want to donate stamps or stamp-money? Email Jim!)
COMING SOON: NJ 11th for Change Postcarding: Interested in joining our crack team of postcarders? Email NJ 11 Field Director Stacey Abenstein and put “NJ11 POSTCARDS” in the subject line. We'll be in touch as soon as we're ready to launch the postcarding portion of our 2022 efforts! (Can't write but want to donate stamps or stamp-money? Email Stacey!)
NJ 11th for Change Operation Diggin’ Up the Dirt: Mikie’s opponent, Paul DeGroot, is a hard-right Trumper. He is also keeping very quiet in the public sphere about his positions; suspiciously quiet, one might say. We’re building a team to gather intel about his positions — and anything else that voters need to know.
To get involved, contact NJ 11 Research Director Patricia Doherty, and put “DEGROOT RESEARCH” in the subject line.
100 DAYS TO GO.
We've got positive momentum for 2022.
To keep it up, we need YOU!
Can't wait to see you out in the field!
Your contributions make our work possible! Donations allowed us to make almost 160,000 voter contacts in New Jersey's 11th congressional district in 2020, and over 130,000 in 2021; our efforts were a big part of making 11 towns flip from Trump in 2016 to Biden in 2020 (including some historically deep-red municipalities!) and securing a tight victory for Governor Phil Murphy in 2021.Your generous donation goes towards our data analysis and voter-file access, text banking expenses, support for our events, printing, and much more. It allows us to continue our work building a government that is transparent, responsive and accountable. Please visit our "DONATE" link and pledge any amount. Every contribution helps as we charge ahead into 2021 and beyond!